Search This Blog

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Popping the cherry!

Here I am writing my first blog post.  I suppose I should first tell you a little about me.  My name is Crystal, or Cris which is what I prefer.  I have grown up in central Indiana my whole life and absolutely hate it.  I live in the city, across from train tracks and under a plane landing route.. needless to say its noisy and blah.

I have been dreaming about living in the country for as long as I can remember and intend to make that a reality soon.  In the mean time I am transitioning the family with the help of my equally crazy husband to greener living.  Although he would certainly argue that I was much crazier than he.

What are we doing to go green?  Well we are not recycling for one.  Yes you read that right.  I believe reduce and reuse is more important so we are focusing on that portion.  Now eventually the compost bin out back will get put in to use.. although I have been saying that for a year. 
Here is what I am doing.  I am not washing my hair, nor am I washing the kids hair.  going on 3 weeks for the kids 2 for me.  Last time I went 3 months.  You read that right.. and our heads are just fine.  No one would guess unless I flat out told them.  Yay for saving money and loads of energy associated with that shampoo.  Now don't get me wrong, I do ACV and baking soda rinses so the hair is getting "cleaned" once a week or so but thats it.

We are heating our house with wood, this year will be our third year at 100% wood.  Now, we did have space heaters for the bedrooms last year but we are trying to find ways around that this year.  We will also be caulking windows and doing the plastic stuff on the outside which we did not do the past couple years.  Every year we learn more about it and I am sure this year will be no different.  Other than the fact that I blog about it haha.  Our house tends to average 63 degrees in the winter time.. a temp that many welcome with teeshirts in the spring but when indoors people seem to think we are crazy.  Its really not bad and we enjoy it.  Although last year we did not have a 4lb chihuahua so this will be a new challenge. 

I am in the process, albeit a very slow drawn out process of going to raw foods only.  I am sure I can post loads of information about it that you can google for yourself so I wont bother.  From time to time I am sure as I discover awesome recipes I will be blogging about them.  With lots of pictures.

This year we also attempted a garden which failed due to too much shade.. quite irritating. We are turning our 16x32 money pit pool into a pond/swimming pond.  This is a current huge project just started so there will be lots of pictures and blogs about it I am sure.

The Weirdo family consists of myself, hubs of course, the girl children who are 7, and the boy who is 9.  No the girl children are not twins, one girl/boy is from my previous marriage and live here full time, the other girl child is the hubs from a previous relationship and resides with her mother most of the time out of state.

Like I said we live in the city, we want to move to the country and are saving to buy our first house or two.  We have too many ideas to run with and would love to open a business aplenty but money is not there right now.  Though that is a work in process.  We work in a factory, ironically building gas furnaces!    We have plans for life that will change our world drastically.. but we are taking it a day at a time.. and you get to watch the journey here.

No comments:

Post a Comment